Saturday, October 30, 2010
A Controversial Holiday:
Every year, a debate rages among Catholics and other Christians: Is Halloween a satanic holiday or merely a secular one? Should Catholic children dress up like ghosts and goblins? Is it good for children to be scared? Lost in the debate is the history of Halloween, which, far from being a pagan religious event, is actually a Christian celebration that's almost 1,300 years old.
The Christian Origins of Halloween:
"Halloween" is a name that means nothing by itself. It is a contraction of "All Hallows Eve," and it designates the vigil of All Hallows Day, more commonly known today as All Saints Day. ("Hallow," as a noun, is an old English word for saint. As a verb, it means to make something holy or to honor it as holy.) All Saints Day, November 1, is a Holy Day of Obligation, and both the feast and the vigil have been celebrated since the early eighth century, when they were instituted by Pope Gregory III in Rome. (A century later, they were extended to the Church at large by Pope Gregory IV.)
The Pagan Origins of Halloween:
Despite concerns among some Catholics and other Christians in recent years about the "pagan origins" of Halloween, there really are none. The first attempts to show some connection between the vigil of All Saints and the Celtic harvest festival of Samhain came over a thousand years after All Saints Day became a universal feast, and there's no evidence whatsoever that Gregory III or Gregory IV was even aware of Samhain.
In Celtic peasant culture, however, elements of the harvest festival survived, even among Christians, just as the Christmas tree owes its origins to pre-Christian Germanic traditions without being a pagan ritual.
Thursday, October 28, 2010
Matt Parrott interviews Dr. Kevin MacDonald, author of Cultural Insurrections: Essays on Western Civilization, Jewish Influence, and Anti-Semitism.
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Monday, October 25, 2010
Saturday, October 23, 2010
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
by Jack Kenny
Joe Sobran and the Wages of "Respectability"
by Andy Nowicki
Jared Taylor Remembers Joe Sobran
Joseph Sobran’s Conservative Foreign Policy
by Jack Hunter
The Inspiration of Joe Sobran
by Paul E. Gottfried
"For Fear of the Jews”
by Joe Sobran
Monday, October 4, 2010
One of his quality projects in development is, “From the Shadows of Liberty”, a powerful story of action, intrigue and romance. It has direct connection to the little known, but historically significant assault on the USS Liberty and impacts the current and noble struggle to preserve our individual liberties and our nation’s sovereignty.
Sunday, October 3, 2010
- The False Left Right Paradigm
- The Last Days of the Big Lie
- Brother Nathanael Videos
- Invisible Empire: The New World Order Defined
- The Secret of Oz
- Minority Rule: The Rise of Political Correctness
- Life in Occupied Palestine
- Fabled Enemies
- Harvest of Despair (1933)
- Immigration Gumballs
- Loose Change Final Cut
- Missing Links
- Monopoly Men (Federal Reserve Fraud)
- The Century Of The Self
- Riddles in Stone
- Old Unreconstructed
- Rising of the Moon
- The Creature From Jekyll Island
- The Fall of the Republic
- Muslim Demographics
- The Fifth Estate : The Lies That Led To War
- The Great Global Warming Swindle
- The History of Political Correctness
- The Khazarian Conspiracy
- The Money Masters
- The New Atlantis
- The Obama Deception
- The Other Israel
- The Sinking of the USS Liberty
- Vaccine Nation
- Waco: The Rules of Engagement
- War Made Easy
- Who Brought the Slaves to America?
- Who Runs the Media? The Full Story
- Weblog of Michael Hoffman
- Weston A. Price Foundation
- We Hold These Truths
- Tenth Amendment Center
- The Barnes Review
- Starving the Monkeys: Fight Back Smarter
- Smith's Report
- Oath Keepers
- New Nation News
- National Prayer Network
- Humanum Genus: Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII on Freemasonry
- Inconvenient History
- Homeowners Justice
- Gun Owners of America
- Free Edgar Steele
- Federation for American Immigration Reform
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
- Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
- Council of Conservative Citizens
- Center for Immigration Studies
- Caste Football
- Brasscheck TV
- Book: The Plot Against the Church
- Book: The Jewish Religion: Its Influence Today
- Book: The Iron Curtain Over America
- Book: The Controversy of Zion
- Book: Liberalism is a Sin
- Bob's Mantra
- Appleseed Project
- Americana Pictures
- American Patrol
- ► 2011 (68)
- Meet the Israeli Settlers
- Should Catholics Celebrate Halloween?
- Radio Free Indiana: Interview with Dr. Kevin MacDo...
- When You're Holding a Hammer (Everything Looks Lik...
- Appleseed Project is turning Americans into marksm...
- Drawing Heaven
- Joseph Sobran, In Memoriam
- Glenn Beck repackages Alex Jones' ideas
- Merlin Miller interviewed on the Political Cesspoo...
- Hanne Nabintu Herland comments on her new book Ala...
- This is how Israel controls your media
- ▼ October (12)
- ► 2009 (310)