Reprinted from: The Point
Edited Under Fr. Leonard Feeney M.I.C.M.
Nineteen hundred and fifty-three years ago, we were confronted with something new. We had never seen its like before: nor have we since. Angels deserted their heavens to shout and sing about it. Shepherds abandoned their sheep on the hillside because of it. Kings left their kingdoms behind to journey in search of it. For, nineteen hundred and fifty-three years ago, God became man, and was born in Bethlehem of a Blessed Virginal Mother.
Since the coming of God-made-man was something unprecedented in our midst, we could never have predicted what its consequences would be. Certainly, we could never have reasoned to the fact that it would mean bloodshed — that seventy-two holy and innocent babies would immediately be put to death as a result of such a birth. And certainly, we had no idea that if God were to be born into His own world, that world would demand the shedding of even His Blood, thirty or so years later.
Because we were totally inexperienced in the matter of an Emmanuel, a God-with-us, we had no way of telling, left to ourselves, that the memory of Bethlehem would go on more securely than ever, after the disgrace of Calvary. Nor, indeed, could we have guessed that by a perpetuation of this very Calvary, in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, God was arranging to abide with us as our Emmanuel, in the consecrated hands of His Catholic priests.
Fittingly, the Holy Sacrifice that is offered on the twenty-fifth of December, during which God comes to our altars on the anniversary of His coming to Bethlehem, has long been regarded as especially “Christ’s Mass” — which has abbreviatedly come to be Christmas.
The Christmas we are about to celebrate will be the nineteen hundred and fifty-third. And although its survival is ultimately secure, its challenging truth will suffer countless attacks.
Here in Boston (a town reputed to be well-disposed toward such considerations as birth and Divinity), Christmas will come as a foreign extravagance to our primeval Puritans, whose grandelders could recall how the December twenty-fifths of their childhood were dismissed as “popish feasts.”
From the more recent denominations of Boston Protestantism, Christmas will get a varied reception. The followers of Mrs. Mary Baker Glover Patterson Eddy, for example, who believe there is no such thing as death, will be quietly disturbed — realizing that if they allow Jesus to be truly born at Christmas, He will grow up to be a serious threat to their theology when He truly dies on Good Friday.
And we can count on local manifestations of the older, more artful rebukes to Christmas: those of the Masons and of the Jews.
Still — however much it will be scoffed at as the Birthday of God-incarnate from the womb of the Blessed Virgin Mary, this year’s Christmas will not be a failure. It will be a nineteen hundred and fifty-third commemoration of a Happy Birthday for Jesus.
For at “Christ’s Mass” this December twenty-fifth, Jesus, welcomed anew at the words of Consecration, will be wrapped in the swaddling clothes of bread-appearances, and laid in that most precious of mangers, a Catholic child’s Holy Communion heart.
- The False Left Right Paradigm
- The Last Days of the Big Lie
- Brother Nathanael Videos
- Invisible Empire: The New World Order Defined
- The Secret of Oz
- Minority Rule: The Rise of Political Correctness
- Life in Occupied Palestine
- Fabled Enemies
- Harvest of Despair (1933)
- Immigration Gumballs
- Loose Change Final Cut
- Missing Links
- Monopoly Men (Federal Reserve Fraud)
- The Century Of The Self
- Riddles in Stone
- Old Unreconstructed
- Rising of the Moon
- The Creature From Jekyll Island
- The Fall of the Republic
- Muslim Demographics
- The Fifth Estate : The Lies That Led To War
- The Great Global Warming Swindle
- The History of Political Correctness
- The Khazarian Conspiracy
- The Money Masters
- The New Atlantis
- The Obama Deception
- The Other Israel
- The Sinking of the USS Liberty
- Vaccine Nation
- Waco: The Rules of Engagement
- War Made Easy
- Who Brought the Slaves to America?
- Who Runs the Media? The Full Story
- Weblog of Michael Hoffman
- Weston A. Price Foundation
- We Hold These Truths
- Tenth Amendment Center
- The Barnes Review
- Starving the Monkeys: Fight Back Smarter
- Smith's Report
- Oath Keepers
- New Nation News
- National Prayer Network
- Humanum Genus: Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII on Freemasonry
- Inconvenient History
- Homeowners Justice
- Gun Owners of America
- Free Edgar Steele
- Federation for American Immigration Reform
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
- Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
- Council of Conservative Citizens
- Center for Immigration Studies
- Caste Football
- Brasscheck TV
- Book: The Plot Against the Church
- Book: The Jewish Religion: Its Influence Today
- Book: The Iron Curtain Over America
- Book: The Controversy of Zion
- Book: Liberalism is a Sin
- Bob's Mantra
- Appleseed Project
- Americana Pictures
- American Patrol
- ► 2011 (68)
- ► 2010 (142)
- ► 2009 (310)
- Nobody frightens children like the TSA
- May We No Longer Be Silent
- O Little Town of Bethlehem
- Little Drummer Boy
- What Child Is This
- GLORY TO GOD IN THE MANGER
- The Buyers and Sellers at Christmas
- THE ENEMIES OF CHRIST AT CHRISTMAS
- THE PROTECTION OF CHRISTMAS
- "Merry Christmas . . . NOT!" by Edmund Connelly
- How Jewish is Hollywood?
- FOX News Investigative Reporters Fired For Telling...
- The War on "Homegrown Terrorists"
- Chuck Baldwin’s Party
- "THEY DIE BARREN" BECAUSE THEY DENY THE LIVING GOD...
- O Come All Ye Faithful 'was a Catholic rallying ca...
- National Geographic TV Takes Aim At Your Guns
- Gaza families eat grass as Israel locks border
- Bush, Schwarzenegger have U.S. Marines patrolling ...
- A Country Without Mercy by Paul Craig Roberts
- Shameless Pervert Appointed to Chief Executive's C...
- Never Surrender Your Firearms!
- Pearl Harbor Day: by Clyde N. Wilson
- The White Riddle
- Sheriff Taylor vs. the Patriot Act
- Washington Arrogance has Fomented a Muslim Revolut...
- The Invention of Modern Terrorism
- Never Surrender Your Firearms!
- Be Prepared. Fear Not.
- "Doomsday Seed Vault" in the Arctic
- Gods and Generals
- Kendra D'Andrea & Willie Jordan Molest Kendra's Ei...
- A Sermon by Bishop Richard Williamson
- Lon Horiuchi, of Ruby Ridge fame, now endorses fir...
- Town Official Attacks Catholics -On Video!
- ▼ December (35)