By Joseph Sobran
One of the great goals of education is to initiate the young into the conversation of their ancestors; to enable them to understand the language of that conversation, in all its subtlety, and maybe even, in their maturity, to add to it some wisdom of their own.
The modern American educational system no longer teaches us the political language of our ancestors. In fact our schooling helps widen the gulf of time between our ancestors and ourselves, because much of what we are taught in the name of civics, political science, or American history is really modern liberal propaganda. Sometimes this is deliberate. Worse yet, sometimes it isn’t. Our ancestral voices have come to sound alien to us, and therefore our own moral and political language is impoverished. It’s as if the people of England could no longer understand Shakespeare, or Germans couldn’t comprehend Mozart and Beethoven.
So to most Americans, even those who feel oppressed by what they call big government, it must sound strange to hear it said, in the past tense, that tyranny “came” to America. After all, we have a constitution, don’t we? We’ve abolished slavery and segregation. We won two world wars and the Cold War. We still congratulate ourselves before every ballgame on being the Land of the Free. And we aren’t ruled by some fanatic with a funny mustache who likes big parades with thousands of soldiers goose-stepping past huge pictures of himself.
For all that, we no longer fully have what our ancestors, who framed and ratified our Constitution, thought of as freedom — a careful division of power that prevents power from becoming concentrated and unlimited. The word they usually used for concentrated power was consolidated — a rough synonym for fascist. And the words they used for any excessive powers claimed or exercised by the state were usurped and tyrannical. They would consider the modern “liberal” state tyrannical in principle; they would see in it not the opposite of the fascist, communist, and socialist states, but their sister.
Click here to read the rest of the article.
- The False Left Right Paradigm
- The Last Days of the Big Lie
- Brother Nathanael Videos
- Invisible Empire: The New World Order Defined
- The Secret of Oz
- Minority Rule: The Rise of Political Correctness
- Life in Occupied Palestine
- Fabled Enemies
- Harvest of Despair (1933)
- Immigration Gumballs
- Loose Change Final Cut
- Missing Links
- Monopoly Men (Federal Reserve Fraud)
- The Century Of The Self
- Riddles in Stone
- Old Unreconstructed
- Rising of the Moon
- The Creature From Jekyll Island
- The Fall of the Republic
- Muslim Demographics
- The Fifth Estate : The Lies That Led To War
- The Great Global Warming Swindle
- The History of Political Correctness
- The Khazarian Conspiracy
- The Money Masters
- The New Atlantis
- The Obama Deception
- The Other Israel
- The Sinking of the USS Liberty
- Vaccine Nation
- Waco: The Rules of Engagement
- War Made Easy
- Who Brought the Slaves to America?
- Who Runs the Media? The Full Story
- Weblog of Michael Hoffman
- Weston A. Price Foundation
- We Hold These Truths
- Tenth Amendment Center
- The Barnes Review
- Starving the Monkeys: Fight Back Smarter
- Smith's Report
- Oath Keepers
- New Nation News
- National Prayer Network
- Humanum Genus: Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII on Freemasonry
- Inconvenient History
- Homeowners Justice
- Gun Owners of America
- Free Edgar Steele
- Federation for American Immigration Reform
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
- Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
- Council of Conservative Citizens
- Center for Immigration Studies
- Caste Football
- Brasscheck TV
- Book: The Plot Against the Church
- Book: The Jewish Religion: Its Influence Today
- Book: The Iron Curtain Over America
- Book: The Controversy of Zion
- Book: Liberalism is a Sin
- Bob's Mantra
- Appleseed Project
- Americana Pictures
- American Patrol
- ► 2011 (68)
- ► 2010 (142)
- Holder Admits: No Equality Under Hate Bill
- Ignorance Is Strength
- South Africa World Cup 2010... and the shooting's ...
- HATE LAWS: OUT TO GET PRO-LIFERS
- Holocaust Survivor: Museum shooter akin to suicide...
- FEMA Web Page Shows Martial Law Exercise With Fore...
- Bob Chapman on The Alex Jones Show
- John Taylor Gatto interviewed by Lennart Mogren
- Why has child molestation committed by illegal ali...
- KMPH News interview with Architect, Richard Gage, ...
- Farming with Nature
- We Must Take America Back - Steve Vaus
- Food, Inc.
- What Do White Nationalists Want?
- How Tyranny Came to America
- ▼ June (15)