By Paul Craig Roberts
Envy, one of the seven deadly sins, is not unknown to Americans.
My last column noted the absurdity of Obama lumping the upper middle class in with the rich. The income distribution in the US is so skewed that the rich are found in the top one percent. The truly rich with the accoutrements associated with that class are in the top half of one percent.
Those points were lost on those Americans who regard anyone slightly better off than themselves as "rich." A slightly bigger house in a better neighborhood, a BMW instead of a Toyota, and the ability to go on vacation without going into debt is all it takes to be rich in the minds of those whose eyes are green with envy.
This observation led me to the realization that freedom has been lost to envy.
Americans no longer know what freedom is. Historically, the definition of a free person is one who owns his own labor. Serfs and slaves were not free, because they do not own all of their own labor.
An income tax is inconsistent with the historical definition of freedom. Today in America government has a claim on every person’s labor, just as feudal lords, the government of that time, had claims on the labor of serfs and nineteenth century plantation owners had on slaves.
Read the rest of the article.
- The False Left Right Paradigm
- The Last Days of the Big Lie
- Brother Nathanael Videos
- Invisible Empire: The New World Order Defined
- The Secret of Oz
- Minority Rule: The Rise of Political Correctness
- Life in Occupied Palestine
- Fabled Enemies
- Harvest of Despair (1933)
- Immigration Gumballs
- Loose Change Final Cut
- Missing Links
- Monopoly Men (Federal Reserve Fraud)
- The Century Of The Self
- Riddles in Stone
- Old Unreconstructed
- Rising of the Moon
- The Creature From Jekyll Island
- The Fall of the Republic
- Muslim Demographics
- The Fifth Estate : The Lies That Led To War
- The Great Global Warming Swindle
- The History of Political Correctness
- The Khazarian Conspiracy
- The Money Masters
- The New Atlantis
- The Obama Deception
- The Other Israel
- The Sinking of the USS Liberty
- Vaccine Nation
- Waco: The Rules of Engagement
- War Made Easy
- Who Brought the Slaves to America?
- Who Runs the Media? The Full Story
- Weblog of Michael Hoffman
- Weston A. Price Foundation
- We Hold These Truths
- Tenth Amendment Center
- The Barnes Review
- Starving the Monkeys: Fight Back Smarter
- Smith's Report
- Oath Keepers
- New Nation News
- National Prayer Network
- Humanum Genus: Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII on Freemasonry
- Inconvenient History
- Homeowners Justice
- Gun Owners of America
- Free Edgar Steele
- Federation for American Immigration Reform
- Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund
- Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance
- Council of Conservative Citizens
- Center for Immigration Studies
- Caste Football
- Brasscheck TV
- Book: The Plot Against the Church
- Book: The Jewish Religion: Its Influence Today
- Book: The Iron Curtain Over America
- Book: The Controversy of Zion
- Book: Liberalism is a Sin
- Bob's Mantra
- Appleseed Project
- Americana Pictures
- American Patrol
- ► 2011 (68)
- ► 2010 (142)
- 100 Days of Change for the Family
- Man who says he is former AIPAC member puts up bil...
- Danish scientist Niels Harrit, on nano-thermite in...
- Torture? It probably killed more Americans than 9/...
- Gerald Celente speaks out on the American Fascist ...
- Tea Party Terrorists
- The True Haters
- The Establishment plays its Trump Card
- "Human Resources" have no Rights
- Terrorism and the Talmud
- Carter Reveals [Minister] Begin Viewed Jews As The...
- Orders We Will NOT Obey
- Notre Dame Announces Homosexual-Themed Events for ...
- Obama's obscene remarks in Iraq
- Can the guardians of "The Freedom Press" Come Out ...
- How Freedom Was Lost
- Is Plan for Racial Strife Another Hoax?
- A CONVERSATION ABOUT RACE - Excerpt
- The "Sugar Daddies" Behind Feminism
- Members of the Congressional Black Caucus Praise C...
- B. Hussein Obama Appoints a Promoter of Sexual Dev...
- Why Fearing the Police Is Not Irrational
- HOMEGROWN REVOLUTION - Radical Change Taking Root
- Hillary Clinton receives award named for famed eug...
- Hillary Clinton leaves flowers for Our Lady of Gua...
- ▼ April (25)